Auto Enrolment in 8 Simple Steps.
The law on workplace pensions has changed. Every employer with at least one member of staff now has new duties, including enrolling those who are eligible into a workplace pension scheme and contributing towards it. This is called Auto Enrolment and The Pensions Regulator should have already notified you of your staging date. Employers need to take steps to ensure that eligible staff are enrolled into a pension scheme.
By 2018, all employers must operate a pension scheme for qualifying employees, with employee and employer contributions.
How can Davisons help?
By now you should have received a letter from the Pensions Regulator – what have you done since you received it? If nothing, please contact Davisons on email@example.com and we will help you with this.
Why can’t I do it myself? – the answer is you can, however research from The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) is predicting that SMEs will face set-up costs of up to £28,300 if they try and do it themselves and could take businesses up to 103 working days to implement.
Knowing your staging date and creating a plan with you
Your ‘staging date’ is the date from which your auto enrolment duties first apply. This date is determined by the total number of employees in your PAYE scheme, based on HMRC’s records as at 1 April 2012.
Assess your workforce
You will need to establish any eligible employees working for you. Automatic enrolment is required for those who:
- are aged between 22 years of age and state pension age
- have qualifying earnings above the earnings trigger for automatic enrolment (£10,000 in 2015/16)
- are working or ordinarily working in the UK
- are not already a member of a qualifying pension scheme.
You will also need to consider whether you have an employer duty in relation to other types of workers including non-eligible employees and entitled employees which we can advise you on.
Review your pension arrangements
We can work with you to decide on a pension scheme that you can offer your staff.
Communicate the changes
We can work with you to create communications to your staff explaining what automatic enrolment into a workplace pension means for them. We can also make sure you have a strategy in place for briefing employees and plan how you will manage any queries that arise.
Automatically enrol eligible employees and new staff
Under the new regulations, employers are required to:
- provide information to the pension scheme about the eligible employees.
- give enrolment information to the eligible employees.
- make arrangements to achieve active membership for the eligible employees.
This should be carried out within the ‘joining window’ (the one-month period from the eligible employees’ automatic enrolment date). We can help you with this.
Register with the Pensions Regulator and keep records
All employers will need to register online with the Pensions Regulator prior to five months of their staging date. Employers must also keep specific records about their workers and their pension scheme(s). At Davisons, we are able to complete this for you.
Contributions to workers’ pensions
From October 2018 all businesses will need to contribute a minimum of 3% on the qualifying pensionable earnings for eligible employees. Employers are also required to make contributions for non-eligible employees who choose to opt in to the pension scheme.
How can Davisons help you?
- Identifying who will be affected – and who will need to be auto-enrolled.
- Take over the Administration.
- Incorporate this into your Payroll
- Communicating with your staff – as to how they will be affected.
- Planning for your staging date – to ensure your payroll is ready for auto-enrolment.
- Selecting the appropriate pension advisor – based on your requirements/people.
- Explaining the financial impact of auto-enrolment – on your profit/cash flow.
- Advising on salary sacrifice – and how you and your staff could benefit.
Davisons can offer an all-encompassing solution to include payroll processing, the on-going administration of auto-enrolment, advice on salary sacrifice, employer savings, and the implementation of an auto-enrolment pension scheme compliant with the auto-enrolment legislation.
Davisons will ensure you are fully compliant with all your employer responsibilities and meet statutory deadlines in regards to both initial preparation and implementation and we can assist you to choose the most suitable pension scheme for your company and your employees.
To find out more information, please call us on 01769 572404 and ask to speak to Suzanne Cheek or email firstname.lastname@example.org
www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/employers/tools/staging-date.aspx enter your PAYE reference and you will be given the date by when you need to Auto Enrol.